These healthy banana and chocolate chip muffins are bursting with sweet flavour. Moist, oozing with chocolate and made with unrefined sugar these muffins are the perfect treat.
If you love bananas, you’re going to love this delightful muffin recipe, full of banana and baked to crisp golden perfection. Read below to find all my best tips to make these perfect every time!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read my full disclosure here.
I don’t know about you but I love eating warm baking that’s fresh out of the oven, like these banana muffins or my delightful chocolate chip cookies.
These muffins are wonderful fresh out of the oven topped with a layer of butter that melts in, yum!
I love the smell of fresh baking streaming through my home, while I’m sewing some new pot holders for the kitchen. These are so useful to get baking out from the hot oven and I love that I can customise them to my style.
I’m a firm believer in reducing my families food waste by using up what we have. If you can relate then these banana chocolate chip muffins are a fantastic way to use up any over ripe bananas in your kitchen. You could also try my families favourite breakfast recipe, banana pancakes.
Made from scratch these banana chocolate muffins are easy to make. This recipe is so versatile you could add in your favourite chocolate, nuts or a pinch of cinnamon for added flavour.
Are Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Healthy?
These banana choc chip muffins are made with wholewheat flour, and unrefined coconut sugar, which are healthier alternatives to all-purpose flour and white granulated sugar.
Healthy Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffin Ingredients
Wholewheat flour – Filled with more nutrients than standard all-purpose flour, this is a great option to use to make these muffins a healthier treat.
Baking Powder – Any is fine.
Baking Soda – Aluminium free!
Coconut Sugar – Unrefined coconut sugar is a great alternative to plain white sugar.
Salt – A pinch of quality kosher or sea salt.
Milk – I enjoy using non-homogenised milk to get that delicious creamy flavour.
Butter – Salted or unsalted butter works well for this recipe, your preference.
Banana – I love to use overripe bananas for my baking because I like the flavour. You can also ripe bananas if you prefer.
Chocolate chips – I like to use chopped quality chocolate or sugar free chocolate chips for my muffins.
How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat oven to 180°C, line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Prepare the dry ingredients, add the wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Combine together.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add in the mashed banana, milk and melted butter then mix to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and quickly mix together. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the chocolate and gently stir into batter.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin tins until they are 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the middle of the muffins are cooked. Use a clean knife to check the inside of the muffins are cooked all the way through. The knife should come out clean if the muffins are cooked.
- Leave them to cool down for 10 minutes…if you can resist. Then enjoy!
The Best Tips for Making Simple Banana Muffins
- Let the melted butter cool down before adding into the wet ingredients. Warm butter can cause the eggs to start cooking and nobody wants scrambled eggs in there muffin mixture!
- Be careful not to over mix the muffin batter where I say ‘mix until just combined’. Over mixing can cause the gluten from the flour to react making very dense muffins.
- Its best to mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together in separate bowls first, this helps the muffins be light and fluffy.
- Use muffin casings to stop the muffins from accidently sticking to the tin. This makes cleaning up breezy.
How To Store Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. I’d be surprised if they lasted that long though! Read below to learn how to freeze these banana muffins successfully.
Can You Freeze Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Once the muffins have cooled down completely place them into an air tight container or zip lock bag. Place them in the freezer, somewhere that they won’t get swashed. They will last for up to 3 months, if stored correctly. I freeze these muffins all the time because I enjoy batch baking.
When you want to defrost these simply remove them from the freezer and place onto a plate with a tea towel over the top. If you leave them in the zip lock bag or container they may get soggy from the condensation as they defrost.
More tasty recipes you’ll love:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- My Simple Shortbread Cookies
- Old Fashioned Apple Crumble
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies